Friday, July 17, 2009

HELP!


Okay,
So any of you mommies out there with some thoughts and help on our current situation would be wonderful!!!

As most of you know, or maybe don't know, we live back at home with my dad and we are all sleeping in the same room - one big happy family! Eden holds down the right side of the room in her big girl bed, Jar and I in the middle of the room lay motionless so we don't wake up the children, and Uriah hangs out in his crib on the right side of the room waking whenever he sees fit.

Yes. My 8 month old, 22lb. man wakes up WAY TOO MUCH.

And it's not like we can just let him "cry it out..." We have Eden in the same room and my dad right above us.

He eats 3 times a day and lots of it.

To his defense, he has been teething since 4 months. He now has 6 and maybe is on the verge of a couple more... I'm not sure.

He was going to bed at 7 and now it's moved back to 7:45 / 8:00. He usually wakes up an hour or so after I put him down then anytime after that. It's usually around midnight, then 2, then 4... Ahhhh!

I know he probably just wants to nurse, or maybe he's in pain... I just don't know how long this can go on.

Please friends send some words of wisdom!!!

Love,
Erin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! not sure what to tell you other than maybe talking to Elaine because she has had to stay in the same room as her kids as well for a few years now. maybe she has some tips on how to be there and still keep her kids asleep??? If it's teeth then it definitely will get better but I know when you are in the trial it seems like it will never end. maybe just nurse him? he will only get bigger and won't want to be close to you forever!

kg said...

Get the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution." I used it with Cialyn (she was the world's WORST sleeper, even til after she turned one). It was very helpful. I would lend you my copy, but you are so far away!

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone--I've been thinking abt your situation & trying to remember back a "few" yrs. :)
Maybe you could try playing a radio whenever they take a nap etc.. When Phyllis & Vernon Mike were babies we didn't keep the house quiet for them.(within reason). Figured if they could sleep in the nursery with the noise/lights a little noise wouldn't hurt them at home. I used to vacumn (sp?) under their cribs when they slept. Using a radio they hear music, diff.
voices & sounds. I used to play an easy rock station. Then when the rest of you are in the room you can whisper without everyone waking up.
Have you talked to you Dad about it? You may be more tense about the circumstances than need be. (Grandparents can be EXTREMELY tolerant!) :) :) Your Dad might not hear as much as you think. You could buy him some ear plugs. (helps also when sleeping with someone who snores). Jar-not implying anything:)
Maybe one of those "white noise" machines or a fan could work.
Keeping a low watt light on might help too. Just enough so you don't fall all over the place.
It has always amazed me how adaptable kids can be. As adults I think we have a tendancy to think too much. It amazes me how "brainstorming" can help. some of the silliest ideas can be tweeked into feasible solutions.
Maybe your Dad has some ideas.
In my opinion there is no ONE way to do something. Look at how Titus had to sleep as an infant--on his stomach, blankets all around. Ladan on his back, hardly any blankets. You have to do what works for the kids & you.
"Big" Vern & I tried to remember that we were here first & the kids would fit into our lifestyles (within reason). Seems like so many kids end up ruling the "roost". I'm sure this may sound awful but it's not intended too.
Being a parent is one of the hardest things to do & the most rewarding. There is NO such thing as a perfect parent. We can only do the best we can-one day at a time, & admit/apologize when we make mistakes (even to the kids). Takes LOTS & LOTS of prayer & humor.
10 yrs. from now you'll be able to sit around the dinner table with Eden & Uriah & wonder how you all survived:)
From a grandparents' point of view--it may be challenging now but wouldn't trade it for the world! What a blessing to have the family close by. Just try to maintain open communication with all involved & try not to read minds.
Please don't take this as a lecture. Just different thoughts & ideas.
Hey-you can always come here for a few days. Inexpensive get-away!!
Even though we haven't spent much time together you hold a VERY special place in my heart!!
You are ALWAYS welcome in my house--ANYTIME.
Love you all!
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Boy- I sure messed up!
I should've asked Jarr to check the light under my sink. Hasn't worked for quite awile & electricity requires GREAT respect & co-ordination. (the second is not a strong point for me. HA)
Yes-the bulb has been checked!!!
Love, Steph